Science and culture : a study of cohesive and disjunctive forces / edited by Gerald Holton.
- Standardized Title:
- Daedalus (Boston, Mass.), sponsor.
- Boston : Houghton Mifflin Company, 1965. , ©1965
- Cambridge, Mass. : Riverside Press
- Daedalus library; v. 4.
Daedalus library ; [v. 4]
xxxiii, 348 pages ; 24 cm
- Science and civilization.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Massachusetts Boston.
United States Massachusetts Cambridge.
- [1.] Definitions: Semantics of culture / Harry Levin
On Scientia / James S. Ackerman
Culture and social cohesion: an anthropologist's view / Edmund R. Leach
Unity and diversity in the modern intellectual disciplines: the role of the social sciences / Talcott Parsons
[2.] On coherences and transformations: Scientific concepts and cultural change / Harvey Brooks
The thematic imagination in science / Gerald Holton
The established dissenters / Don K. Price
The visual arts and the science: a proposal for collaboration / Gyorgy Kepes
The future as the basis for establishing a shared culture / Margaret Mead
[3.] On disjunction and alienation: Science and technology in popular culture / Oscar Handlin
Science in modern culture / Eric Weil
Remarks on a redefinition of culture / Herbert Marcuse
The disjunction of culture and social structure: some notes on the meaning of social reality / Daniel Bell
Science and man's nature / René Dubos
Toward a common scale of measurement / Robert S. Morison
The integrity of science / a report by the American Association for the Advancement of Science Committee on science in the promotion of human welfare.
- Most of these essays, several in somewhat different form, were originally published in the winter 1965 issue of Daedalus.
"Copyright ©1965 by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences"--verso of title page.
"The Riverside Press, Cambridge."--title page,
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center copy gifted by Dr. Mark B. Adams in 2018.
Kislak Center copy retains dust jacket.
- Penn Provenance:
- Adams, Mark B. (former owner) (autograph) (Adams copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Holton, Gerald James, editor.
Houghton Mifflin Company, publisher.
Riverside Press (Cambridge, Mass.), printer.
Mark B. Adams Emergence of Modern Science Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|