Methods of study in natural history / by L. Agassiz.
- Other records:
- Boston : Ticknor and Fields, 1863.
- Cambridge : Welch, Bigelow, & Co.
viii, 319 pages : illustrations, map ; 19 cm
- Animals -- Classification.
Coral reefs and islands.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Massachusetts Boston.
United States Massachusetts Cambridge.
- General sketch of the early progress in natural history.
Nomenclature and classification.
Categories of classification.
Classification and creation.
Different views respecting orders.
Gradatin amon animals.
The characters of genera.
Species and breeds.
Formation of coral reefs.
Age of coral reefs as showing permanence of species.
The ovarian egg.
Embryology and classification.
- "The series of papers collected in this volume may be considered as a complement or commentary to my 'Essay on classification' ... These chapters were first embodied in a course of lectures delivered at the Lowell institute in Boston."--Pref.
First printed in the Atlantic monthly, with exception of last chapter.
"Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1863, by Ticknor and Fields"--verso of title page.
"Cambridge: Electrotyped and Printed by Welch, Bigelow, & Co."--page 319
"University Press: Welch, Bigelow and Company, Cambridge"--verso of title page.
Twenty one pages of advertisements at end.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries Rare copy gifted by Dr. Mark B. Adams in 2018.
Penn Libraries Rare copy has Booksellers sticker: "Sold by M. H. Waite, Bookseller & Stationer. 138 Baltimore St. Near Calvert St. Baltimore."
- Penn Provenance:
- Adams, Mark B., (former owner) (Adams copy)
Crawford, Robert M., (autograph 1863) (Adams copy)
Crawford, Albert E., (autograph) (Adams copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Ticknor and Fields, publisher.
Mark B. Adams Emergence of Modern Science Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Welch, Bigelow & Co., printer.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|