A treatise on the police of London : containing a detail of the various crimes and misdemeanors by which public and private property and security are, at present, injured and endangered : and suggesting remedies for their prevention / By a magistrate acting for the counties of Middlesex, Surry, Kent, and Essex. --For the City and Liberty of Westminster --and for the Liberty of the Tower of London ; [Five lines of Latin quotation]
- The first American edition.
- Philadelphia : Printed for Benjamin Davies, no. 68, High-Street. By Henry Sweitzer, no. 85, Race-Street, MDCCXCVIII. 
xiv, , 342, xxiv,  p.,  folded leaf ; 22 cm. (8vo)
- ute- r-e, here inch (3) 1798 (R)
- Crime -- England -- London.
Police -- England -- London.
London (England) -- Police.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphia.
- Attributed to Patrick Colquhoun in the Dictionary of national biography.
Edition statement transposed; precedes "By a magistrate ..." on title page.
Signatures: [A]4 *B4 *C2 B-3A4 (3A4 blank).
- Local notes:
- RBC Copy 1-2 imperfect: p. - (blank) at end wanting.
Kaplan Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2012 by Arnold and Deanne Kaplan.
Athenaeum copy: Copy 1: ms. sales receipt (J. Fisher to Wm. Cobbett) laid in.
Athenaeum copy: Copy 2: Curwen gift.
- Penn Provenance:
- Philadelphia Society for alleviating the miseries of public prisons (bookplate) (RBC copy 1)
Philadelphia. Athenaeum (inscription) (RBC copy 2)
Smith, R.C. (autograph)(RBC copy 2)
Sellin, Johan Thorsten (donor) (autograph, 1937)(RBC cop.3)
Kaplan, Arnold (donor) (Kaplan Collection copy)
Kaplan, Deanne (donor) (Kaplan Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Evans 33538
- Arnold and Deanne Kaplan Collection of Early American Judaica (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|