Countertenor duets and solos [sound recording] / by Henry Purcell ; and John Blow ; [performing editions by Robert King]
- Standardized Title:
- Vocal music. Selections
- London : Hyperion, p1988.
- Sound recording
1 sound disc : digital, stereo. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Vocal duets with instrumental ensemble.
Vocal duets with continuo.
Songs (High voice) with continuo.
- Sound the trumpet : from Come ye sons of art, Z323 (2:21) ; In vain the am'rous flute : from Hail, bright Cecilia. Z328 (6:03) ; O solitude, my sweetest choice : Z406 (5:41) ; Sing sing ye druids : from Bonduca, Z574 (2:37) ; O dive custos Auriacae domus : An elegy upon the death of Queen Mary, Z514 (6:59) ; No, resistance is but vain : from The Maid's last prayer, Z601 (4:34) ; Hark how the songsters : from Timon of Athens, Z632 (2:59) ; Incassum, Lesbia, rogas : The Queen's Epicedium, Z383 (7:43) / Purcell
Ah, heav'n! What is't I hear! : [from Ode for St. Cecilia's Day 1691] (3:16) ; Ode on the death of Mr. Henry Purcell (21:50) / Blow.
- James Bowman, Michael Chance, countertenors ; The King's Consort ; Robert King, director.
- For 2 countertenors (except the 3rd and 8th works for 1 countertenor), and continuo (bass viol, chamber organ, harpsichord, lute and/or theorbo) ; 2nd, 4th, 7th & 9th also include 2 recorders.
Sung in English, except the 5th and 8th works sung in Latin.
1st-2nd, and 9th works excerpts from odes ; 4th, 6th and 7th from incidental music to plays.
Recorded 14-15 May, 1987.
Program notes by the conductor and texts in English or Latin, with English translations of those in Latin (11 p. : ill.) inserted in container.
- Bowman, James. , Performer
Chance, Michael. , Performer
King, Robert, 1960- , Conductor
King's Consort. , Performer
- Blow, John, d. 1708. Glorious day is come. Ah, Heav'n! What is't I hear? 1988.
Blow, John, d. 1708. Ode on the death of Mr Henry Purcell. 1988.
- Publisher Number:
- CDA66253 Hyperion
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|