Autograph album, 1853-1875.
- Other Title:
- Nadar autograph album, 1853-1875.
- Photography -- History -- France -- 19th century.
- Majority of written material appears in French.
- Photographer, artist, caricaturist, writer, and balloonist, working in Paris from 1839 on.
- This album was kept by Nadar for sitters at his studio to sign. It is believed that the earliest entries represent celebrated figures who were sitting for sketches; but the bulk of the names contained in the album appear because the individuals were sitting for photographic portraits.
Over 400 names can be found in the album, and they comprise notables in the worlds of art, literature, music, dance, theater, and government. The majority of signatures are accompanied by examples of the artist's trade--such as a drawing, a poem, bars of music--or some greeting or observation.
- Originally 1 bound volume containing 195 leaves; 34 x 51 cm. Item has been disbound and folios placed in mylar sleeves and boxed.
Indexes: An index to the majority of signatures or entries can be found by doing the following title search: Nadar autograph album, 1853-1875.
- Penn Provenance:
- Transfer from Dental Medicine Library, University of Pennsylvania, 1985.
- Evans, Thomas Wiltberger, 1823-1897, former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|