The epic of America / by James Truslow Adams.
- Boston, [Mass.] : Little, Brown, and Co., 1931.
viii, p., 2 l., -433 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- United States -- History.
United States -- Politics and government.
United States -- Social life and customs.
ESTADOS UNIDOS -- HISTORIA.
Manners and customs
- The Epic of America paints a sweeping picture of the diverse past that has created Americaʹs national story. In this important narrative, James Truslow Adams reviews how the ordinary American has matured over time in outlook, character, and opinion. Adams is interested in the whole of American history, how it began, and what it represented in the first half of the twentieth century. He traces the historical origins of the American concept of "bigger and better," attitudes toward business, the American Dream, and other characteristics generally considered "typically American." Ever since America became an independent nation, each generation has seen an uprising of its citizens to save the American Dream from forces seeking to overwhelm and dispel it.
- I. From Time Immemorial
II. The Return of Quetzalcoatl. 1. The Men of Destiny
- 2. A Civilization Established
III. America Secedes from the Empire
IV. The Nation Finds Itself
V. America Secedes from the Old World
VI. The Sun Rises in the West
VII. The North Begins to Hustle
VIII. Manifest Destiny Lays a Golden Egg
IX. Brothers' Blood
X. The End of the Frontier
XI. The Flag Outruns the Constitution
XII. The Age of the Dinosaurs
XIII. America Revisits the Old World.
- Includes index.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy inscirbed "To [Wally]- Xmas 1931- from K.[G. Kelly]"
Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has patterned bookmark laid in at p. 146.
Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has newspaper clipping from December 1, 1931 laid in at p. 240.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
John Penman Wood Fund.
- Other format:
- Online version: Adams, James Truslow, 1878-1949. Epic of America.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|