Consists of newspaper clippings, notes and other papers pertaining to the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library. Three newspaper clippings from 1932 describe the opening of the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and the garden that was planted outside the new library. One of these clippings also discusses the opening of the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C. There is also a set of notes describing the shelf arrangement of the Library when it still belonged to Horace Howard Furness, Jr. These notes date to 1930 or earlier; some of the writing is in the hand of H. H. Furness, Jr., who died in 1930. There is also a typed description of the history and holdings of the Library, written after it was moved to its present location in the University of Pennsylvania's Van Pelt Library in 1962. No author or date is indicated.
The Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library is built upon the Shakespearean collection assembled by two Philadelphia Shakespeare scholars, Horace Howard Furness (1833-1912) and his son Horace Howard Furness, Jr. (1865-1930). It was donated to the University of Pennsylvania in 1930 and was dedicated on 23 April 1932, Shakespeare's birthday.
H. H. Furness Memorial Library manuscript collection.