The New-England calendar: or, The Boston almanack, for the year of our Lord Christ 1786 [microform] : ... Calculated for the meridian of Boston, but will serve for any of the adjacent states. / By Copernicus Partridge, A.M. ; [Eight lines of verse quotation]
- [Providence] : Printed [by Bennett Wheeler] for E. Battelle, and sold and [sic] his shop in Marlborough-Street, Boston., 
- Early American imprints. First series ; no. 19376.
 p. ; 17 cm. (12mo)
- Almanacs -- Massachusetts -- 1786.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Rhode Island Providence.
United States Massachusetts Boston.
- Identical in typography and most of the contents with: The North-American calendar: or, the Rhode-Island Almanack, for 1786 ... by Copernicus Partridge ... Providence : Bennett Wheeler,  (Evans 19377). Apart from the altered title page, the changes are in the contents of p. [2-3], and in part of the calculations on the calendar pages, which are revised for Boston.
Both almanacs attributed to Benjamin West by Evans. The previous editions of the North American calendar, and that for the following year, are signed by West. However, the author in his address to the reader, p. [17-18], introduces himself as though for the first time (e.g., "I am a stranger to that part of the public where my labours are now to appear").
The eclipse predictions are practically identical with those in "Bickerstaff's Genuine Boston almanack for 1786" (Boston : E. Russell), the author of which signs himself "Isaac Bickerstaff Esq." in a note (p. ) dated at Providence, the residence of Benjamin West. There is no other similarity between the Bickerstaff and the two Partridge almanacs. In particular, the calendar page calculations in Bickerstaff differ widely from those in the New England Calendar, though both are supposedly calculated for Boston.
Microfiche. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1985] 11 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First series ; no. 19376).
- Cited in:
- Evans 19376
Drake, M. Almanacs, 3363
- Partridge, Copernicus.
West, Benjamin, 1730-1813.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|