Tanbīh al-ghāfilīn wa-īḍāḥ sabīl al-murshidīn. = تنبيه الغافلين وايضاح سبيل المرشدين.
- Standardized Title:
- Tanbīh al-ghāfilīn.
- [North Africa?] , A.H. 822 (1419)
142 leaves, unbound : paper ; 270 x 205 (195 x 160) mm bound to 270 x 215 mm.
- Religious ethics -- Early works to 1800.
Religious life -- Islam -- Early works to 1800.
Islamic ethics -- Early works to 1800.
Islam -- Doctrines -- Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Arabic -- 17th century.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 18th century.
Codices (bound manuscripts)
Blind tooled (decoration)
Envelope flaps (features)
- Lacunose copy of Abū al-Layth al-Samarqandī's work on ethics and advice. The leaves are unbound and pages are missing, particularly from the beginning. Some pages have been rewritten in another hand and replaced.
- Title from introduction (f. 1r).
Foliation: Modern foliation added in pencil, upper right verso; catchwords every verso, lower left.
Layout: 23 long lines.
Script: Written in maghribi in brown ink; pointed, partially vocalized.
Decoration: Rubrications chiefly in red, but also in green and purple.
Binding: The covers are brown leather over pasteboard with flap (Type II) with a blind stamped and tinted central mandorla and blind tooled frames. The flap has a coordinating blind stamped, tinted medallion. The pastedowns on the inside covers and the flap have been trimmed in a scalloped pattern along one edge. The covers are not bound to the text. Endbands in crimson and white are visible along the bottom edge of the spine.
Origin: Copy completed on 23 Safar 822 A.H. (March 30, 1419), though that may be copied from another manuscript (f. 140v).
Two leaves have been laid into the volume.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Marcus Jastrow and Morris Jastrow, Jr.
- Cited as:
- UPenn Oversize Ms. Codex 25.
- Jastrow, Marcus, 1829-1903, former owner.
Jastrow, Morris, Jr., 1861-1921, former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|