J. Donald Blyth World War II Diaries, 1942-1945.
1 item (7 volumes).
- Disbound and placed in mylar sleeves, in seven archival binders.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- History, Military -- 20th century.
Norway -- Foreign relations -- 1905-1945.
Norway -- History -- German occupation, 1940-1945.
- Blyth was in the British army during World War II. He worked in the security office and seems to have spent most of the war in Britain. In 1945 he was sent on a mission to Norway for several months.
- Diaries kept by J. Donald Blyth in Britain during World War II. The entries date from 22 October 1942 to 28 November 1945. Period covered in each volume: v. 1: 22 Oct. 1942-20 Apr. 1943; v. 2: 21 Apr. 1943-17 Aug. 1943; v. 3: 18 Aug. 1943-6 Dec. 1943; v. 4: 7 Dec. 1943-28 May 1944; v. 5: 16 May 1944-31 Jan. 1945; v. 6: 1 Feb. 1945-5 May 1945; v. 7: 6 May 1945-28 Nov. 1945. Also includes assorted clippings, ephemera, and other papers that Blyth had inserted into his diaries.
- Most entries are typewritten; a few are manuscript, presumably in Blyth's hand.
Two pages are missing for late April-early May 1943 (near the beginning of v. 2); otherwise the diary is complete.
Permission to publish or cite material must be obtained from Blyth's daughter, Karen Lewton, who retains copyright.
Security considerations prevent publication of this material, or quotations from it, from appearing in the United Kingdom without further consultations.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gift of Karen Lewton, 1994.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|