The historie of the pitifull life, and unfortunate death of Edward the Fifth, and the then Duke of Yorke his brother : with the troublesome and tyrannical government of usurping Richard the Third, and his miserable end / written by the Right Honorable Sir Thomas Moore ...
- Other Title:
- Tragicall historie of the life and reigne of Richard the Third
- London : Printed by Thomas Payne for the Company of Stationers, and are to be sold by Mich: Young, at his shop in Bedford-street in Covent-Garden, neere the new Exchange, 1641.
, 461 [i.e. 469],  p.,  leaves of plates : ports. ; 14 cm. (12mo)
- Edward V, King of England, 1470-1483.
Richard III, King of England, 1452-1485.
Great Britain -- History -- House of York, 1461-1485.
Great Britain -- History -- Richard III, 1483-1485.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Dedication signed: W.S. [i.e. William Sheares].
The editor, William Sheares, completed the narrative of Richard III largely from Hall's Chronicle (1548); concerning the authorship of this work, see DNB article on More.
"The tragicall historie of the life and reigne of Richard the Third." has separate dated title page, with imprint "printed by T. Paine and M. Simmons" on leaf K1r.
Signatures: A⁴ B-V¹² X⁸ (X8 blank).
Numbers 135-144 repeated in pagination, 423-424 omitted.
With portraits of Edward V and Richard III.
Woodcuts: initials; head-pieces; text and titles within woodcut borders.
- Local notes:
- Furness copy imperfect: title-leaf wanting; title and imprint supplied from ESTC; second leaf mutilated with significant loss of text; last leaf (blank) wanting; plates (ports. of Edward V and Richard III) wanting.
- Penn Provenance:
- Halliday, Harrold (autograph, 21 Nov. 1891) (Furness copy)
Elias, Archibald C. (bookplate) (donor) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Wing (2nd ed.) M2688
- Sheares, William, d. 1662.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|