An universal etymological English dictionary : comprehending the derivations of the generality of words in the English tongue ... and also a brief and clear explication of all difficult words ... : together with a large collection and explication of words and phrases us'd in our ancient statutes, charters, writs, old records, and processes at law and the etymology and interpretation of the proper names of men, women, and remarkable places in Great Britain ... : to which is added, a collection of our most common proverbs ... / by N. Bailey ...
- The fourth edition, with large additions.
- London : Printed for J. Darby, A. Bettesworth, F. Fayram ... [and 8 others], MDCCXXVIII 
 p. ; 20 cm. (8vo)
- onuc s,hy ora- M*AB (C) 1728 (R)
- English language -- Dictionaries.
English language -- 18th century -- Dictionaries.
Names, Personal -- Great Britain -- Dictionaries.
Names, Geographical -- Great Britain.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Statement of responsibility follows edition statement on title leaf.
Signatures: A⁴ a⁴ B-2L⁴ "Mm & Nn"⁴ 2O-6C⁴.
Factotum initial and tail-piece.
Title within border of double rules; text primarily in double columns.
Advertisement on leaf 6C4v.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries Furness copy bound in 2 volumes; v. 2 has imprint: Printed for T. Cox ... 1727.
Penn Libraries RBC copy has red seal ("Carter's Registered Prize Medal Seeds") affixed to front pastedown; 1 early autograph ("Cath: Webb") and 1 early ms. inscription(?) ("Catherine Webb") on title leaf; bookplate of Archibald Elias on back pastedown.
Penn Libraries RBC copy has a few ms. marks in pencil or ink in text.
Penn Libraries RBC copy: front free endpaper wanting.
- Penn Provenance:
- Webb, Catherine (autograph) (inscription?) (RBC copy)
Elias, Archibald C. (bookplate) (donor) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Alston, R.C. Engl. language, V, 97.
- Darby, John, d. 1733, bookseller.
Bettesworth, Arthur, d. 1739, bookseller.
Fayram, Francis, bookseller.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|