Pupilla oculi [manuscript].
- [England, between 1400 and 1425]
193 leaves : parchment ; 253 x 182 (194 x 143) mm. bound to 265 x 190 mm.
- Catholic Church -- Clergy -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Catholic Church -- Discipline.
Canon law -- Early works to 1800.
Pastoral theology -- Catholic Church -- Early works to 1800.
Sacraments -- Catholic Church -- Early works to 1800.
Manuals (instructional materials)
Manuscripts, Latin -- 15th century.
- John Borough is also known as John de Burgh and John de Burgo. He was a divine and became chancellor of Cambridge University in 1384.
- Handbook of canon law and pastoral theology for parish priests (f. 1r-177v). It appears to be a reworking of an earlier manual (ca. 1320) by William of Pagula. Followed by a register for the work (f. 178r-193v).
- Ms. codex.
Title from spine and f. 177v. The author's name is given on the spine and in the Zacour-Hirsch Catalogue as John de Burgh.
Collation: Parchment, ii (modern paper) + 193 + i (modern paper); 1-7¹², 8¹⁰, 9-14¹², 15¹²(-1), 16¹², 17⁴; [1-193]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Catchwords in an enlarged Gothic script, lower right of last verso of each quire, in a decorative border. The catchword at the bottom of f. 130v does not match the first words of f. 131r; this suggests that a quire may be missing.
Layout: Written in 2 columns of 45 lines.
Script: Written in a Gothic bâtarde script.
Decoration: 7-line initial in blue and red with penwork ornamentation and decorated border (f. 1r). Blue initials with red and blue ornamentation, paragraph markers and rubrication found throughout.
Binding: 20th-century American olive cloth over cardboard (bound for the Lea Library, University of Pennsylvania).
Origin: Written in England in the first quarter of the 15th century.
Folio 36v contains the following marginal notation, in English: "John Hurleston, Not his Booke, 1690." Possibly a reader's mark.
Signatures: Some signatures visible in red in the first half of some quires.
There is an abraded Ex Libris on f. 193v.
On file in the Library is a three-page description of the manuscript and discussion of its contents by Peter Collins and Ruth J. Dean of the University of Pennsylvania. This is dated May 1974. It is accompanied by photographs and materials describing the Church of St. Deiniol in Bangor, Wales.
- Penn Provenance:
- Possible former owners include Hugh Roberts (signature, f. 89r), Charles Hurleston (signature, f. 158v-159r), and Simon Jones (signature, f. 167r).
Formerly owned in the 15th century by the Church of St. Deiniol in Bangor, Wales (f. 193v); in the 18th century by Roberts; sold by Kerslake in 1858 to Sir Thomas Phillipps [no. 20547] (f. iir); sold to Tregaskis, 1895 (London, 1895, no. 106); purchased by Henry Charles Lea, 1896 (f. iir).
Acquired by the University of Pennsylvania with the Lea Library.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 153 (Ms. Lea 23).
Listed in De Ricci, Seymour. Census of medieval and Renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada, v. 2, p. 2107, no. 3.
Listed in Répertoire bio-bibliographique des auteurs latins, patristiques et médiévaux [microform]; Institut de recherche et d'histoire des textes (CNRS) ([Paris]: Chadwick-Healey France, 1987), fiche 276.
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 75
- Hurleston, Charles, former owner.
Jones, Simon, former owner.
Lea, Henry Charles, 1825-1909, former owner.
Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner.
Roberts, Hugh, former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|