Tailles de Blois, 1354.
- Other Title:
- Ce sont les tailles Mons. le Comte de Blois faites sus ses homes et fames de chief et de courps et ymposes en lan liiii par Simon Robelet.
1 item (3 strips) : parchment .
- Parishes -- France -- Early works to 1800.
Tax assessment -- France -- Early works to 1800.
Taxation -- France -- Early works to 1800.
Blois (France : County) -- History.
- Tax records.
Manuscripts, French -- 14th century.
- In Middle French.
- 3 strips of parchment containing records of a tax imposed by the Comte de Blois in six parishes of the County: Duisson (Dhuizon), Neuf (Neuvy), Chenboint (Chambord), Monterioul (Montriev-en-Sologne), Saint Die (Saint-Dyé-sur-Loire) and Baines. Simon Robelet acted on behalf of the count in imposing the tax. Lists each subject by parish, and what was owed of was paid by them to the court. Many subjects are listed as "povre," i.e. unable to pay. At the end of the third strip are listed the expenses incurred by Simon Robelet and his knights and assistants during the course of collecting the tax.
- Title taken from a docket of later date on the verso of strip I.
Incipit: Ce sont les tailles Mons. le Comte de Blois faites sus ses homes et fames de chief et de courps et ymposes en lan liiii par Simon Robelet ...
County of Blois, in France. Date given in line 2 as "lan liiii;" the date 1354 is given in a docket of later date on the verso of strip I.
On the verso of strip I, at the top, there is a brief note that appears to be contemporary with and in the same hand as the rest of the document. Below this is a brief docket of later date.
Strip I consists of a single piece of parchment; strip II consists of 2 shorter strips sewn together; strip III consists of 5 shorter strips sewn together.
Strip I measures 15 x 52 cm., folded to 15 x 30 cm.; strip II measures 14 x 67 cm, folded to 14 x 24 cm.; strip III measure 14 x 160 cm., folded to 14 x 32 cm.
There is a large hole in the parchment of strip III, probably due to an imperfection in the hide. There are several other tears or holes that have been mended.
- Penn Provenance:
- Acquired, 1967.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800: Supplement A (2). The Library Chronicle 36 (1970), p. 26 (Ms. Lea 436).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Coll. 792
- Robelet, Simon.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|