A dream of bounden dutie : dedicated to Queen Elizabeth [manuscript] / by Michell Archer.
- [England, ca. 1580]
61 leaves : parchment ; 134 x 152 (109 x 69) mm. bound to 140 x 156 mm.
- English literature -- 16th century.
English poetry -- 16th century.
Manuscripts, English -- 16th century.
- Poem dedicated to Queen Elizabeth that is evidently unpublished. Consists of dedication; introductory verses in rhyming couplets; poem proper in 224 seven-line stanzas, divided into seven parts or books.
- Ms. codex.
Title and author taken from verso of front endleaf. Author statement occurs before statement of dedication: A Dream of Bounden Dutie by Michell Archer. Dedicated to Queen Elizabeth.
Author's name spelled "Mighell Archar" at end of dedication (f. 1v). At end of work author's last name given as "Archer".
Dedication (f. 1r): "My unlearned travayle and symple invention by me named a dreame of bounden duetie I hit heare dedicate unto you my moste Sovereigne redoubted ... Ladye to yis ende and extent that when youre moste royall estate and excellent Ma[jes]tie shall wexe wery of grave profounde studie as well phylosophicall as matter apperteynynge to publique governement and Common Weale. Then yis my wellment ignorance might be taken into your gratius handes ... "
Incipit of prologue (f. 2r): In a mornyng before ye day / It was in January and not in May / Were it for watching or labour / So sound I slept that lute ne tabour / ...
Foliation: Parchment, i (18th-century paper) + 61 + i (18th-century paper); [1-61]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Layout: Written in seven-line stanzas; ruled in red ink.
Script: Written in an English court script by a single hand.
Decoration: First word of each part and all proper names rubricated.
Binding: 18th-century green velvet. Front cover board and first five quires completely detached. Cover peeled off of spine.
Origin: Written in England, ca. 1580 (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Narcissus Luttrell (monogram and date, 1693, f. 1r).
Sold by Raphael King (London), cat. 50 (1950), no. 135.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 50 (Ms. English 4).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 199.
- Elizabeth I, Queen of Great Britain, dedicatee.
- Access Restriction:
- Access to this item is subject to staff review.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|