Instruttione data per ordine di N.S. Papa Gregorio XV. a Mons[igno]r Carafa Vescovo d'Aversa destinato Nuntio all dell Imp[erato]re a di 12 de Aprile 1621 [manuscript].
- [Italy, 16--]
41 leaves : paper ; 274 x 205 (210 x 130) mm. bound to 286 x 210 mm.
- Boniface VIII, Pope, d. 1303.
Catholic Church -- Foreign relations -- Holy Roman Empire.
Indulgences -- Germany -- Early works to 1800.
Papal nuncios -- Early works to 1800.
Holy Roman Empire -- History -- 1517-1648.
Holy Roman Empire -- History -- Ferdinand II, 1619-1637.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 17th century.
- Document of Pope Gregory XV (f. 2r-41v), giving instructions to Carlo Carafa, bishop of Aversa, for his service as a papal ambassador to the court of the Holy Roman Emperor. This appears to be an archival copy rather than an original; was originally part of a larger volume. Preceded by a note regarding the bull of Pope Boniface VIII granting indulgences in Germany (p. 51), on slightly different paper.
- Ms. codex.
Title from caption title (p. 53).
Pagination: Paper, i (modern paper) + 41 + i (modern paper); 51-132, contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corner. This manuscript was originally part of a larger volume.
Layout: Written in 18 long lines.
Script: Written in a cursive script by a single hand, with document concerning Boniface VIII written in a second, possibly later hand.
Binding: Boards, probably 18th or 19th century. Paper badly damaged due to oxidation of ink; text rendered difficult to read in many places. Edges of many leaves frayed. Various stains.
Origin: Written in Italy in the 17th century (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Jacques Rosenthal (Munich), 1958.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 105 (Ms. Italian 66).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 308
- Carafa, Carlo, d. 1644, recipient.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|