The short fiction of Charles W. Chesnutt / edited and with an introduction by Sylvia Lyons Render.
- Revised paperback edition
- Washington, D.C. : Howard University Press, 1981.
, 428,  pages ; 23 cm
- African Americans -- Fiction.
United States -- Social life and customs -- Fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Washington (D.C.)
- Anecdotes. A tight boot; Gratitude; Appreciation; An eloquent appeal; A cause célèbre; A soulless corporation; Busy day in a lawyer's office; A Roman antique; She reminded him; An original sentiment
The Tales. The origin of the hatchet story; A midnight adventure; Concerning father; Tobe's tribulations; Lonesome Ben; A deep sleeper; A victim of heredity; Dave's neckliss; The marked tree; The dumb witness; A Virginia chicken; Uncle Peter's house; The fall of Adam; McDugald's mule; Tom's warm welcome; How a good man went wrong
The Short Stories. A limb of Satan; Aunt Mimy's son; Aunt Lucy's search; The march of progress; The sway-backed house; Wine and water; The prophet Peter; How Dasdy came through; The partners; Mr. Taylor's funeral; A bad night; The doctor's wife; How he met her; A metropolitan experience; The shadow of my past; A secret ally; The kiss; Cartwright's mistake; A fool's paradise; A grass widow; Jim's romance; The exception; A miscarriage of justice; Stryker's Waterloo; Walter Know's record; The averted strike; White weeds; The doll; Baxter's Procrustes.
- "This volume of ten anecdotes, nine tales, and twenty-nine short stories includes all but four of Chesnutt's pieces of short fiction - excluding the tales and short stories in 'The Conjure woman' and The Wife of His Youth and Other stories of the Color Line'."--Cover.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 423-428).
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Render, Sylvia Lyons, editor.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
0882580922 (pbk.) :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|