Defenses of the imagination : Jewish writers and modern historical crisis / Robert Alter.
- [1st ed.]
- Philadelphia : The Jewish Publication Society of America, 5738/1977.
xv, , 262,  pages ; 24 cm.
- Jewish authors.
Jews in literature.
Hebrew literature, Modern -- History and criticism.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphhia.
- 1. The Modern Context. Defenses of the imagination
2. Portraits. Osip Mandelstam: the poet as witness; Walter Benjamin: the aura of the past; Gershom Scholem: history and the abyss; Lea Goldberg: poetry in dark times; Uri Zvi Greenberg: a poet of the holocaust; Charles Reznikoff: between present and past; Eliot, Lawrence, and the Jews: two versions of Europe
3. Fiction and Historical Crisis. Jewish humor and the domestication of myth; A novel of the post-tragic world; Agnon's Mediterranean fable; Shtetl and Revolution; Fiction in a state of siege; Updike, Malamud, and the fire this time; A problem of horizons.
- "First edition."
"Designed by Adrianne Onderdonk Dudden."
Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
Potok Collection copy has autograph of "Chaim Potok 1978".
- Penn Provenance:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Dudden, Adrianne Onderdonk.
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0827600976 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|