Voices : a journal of verse
- Other records:
- Other Title:
Voices : an open forum for the poets
Voices : a quarterly of poetry
Voices : a journal of poetry
- Boston : Harold Vinal's Book Room, 1921-1965.
v. ; 23-26 cm.
Vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 1921)-no.  (1965).
- American poetry -- 20th century -- Periodicals.
Poetry -- Periodicals.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Massachusetts Boston.
- Subtitle varies: 1921-July/Sept. 1924, 1929-summer 1931, A journal of verse; Nov. 1924-May/June 1925, autumn 1931-1939, no subtitle; Oct. 1925-28, An open forum for the poets; 1940-winter 1950, summer-autumn 1950, a quarterly of poetry; spring 1950, 1951- A journal of poetry.
Edited by Harold Vinal.
Place of publication and publisher vary.
No. 1-45 called vol. 1-7, vol. numbering discontinued with no. 46; issues for 1965 called no. 1, 2 and 3.
"The ideal of the magazine, in the words of Harold Vinal, its editor, 'has been to give space to the new poets who need a hearing.' Both in its poetry and in many of its critical statements, Voices gives a strong impression of its interest in and insistence upon the 'subjective source and quality' of poetry. There is much alarmed ado over the 'surrender' of some modern poetry to the harsh realities of 'the modern distemper.' Voices wishes to preserve poetry or to rescue it from the danger of modern attack upon its sensibilities: 'A poem is always to a greater or less degree a subjective matter, and complete objectivity in poetry is as unattainable as it is in philosophy or mathematics which strive to be the most objective of the sciences.'"--Cf. Hoffman.
Contributions from Loren C. Eiseley, Edgar Lee Masters, Alfred Kreymborg, Archibald MacLeish, and Harold Vinal.
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy has miscellaneous issues from 1925 to 1945.
Culture Class Collection copy 96 misnumbered? (Winter 1939)
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Hoffman, F. J. : The Little Magazine, p. 264
- Vinal, Harold, 1891-1965
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Library of Theodore Dreiser (University of Pennsylvania)
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
American Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|