Tar Beach / Faith Ringgold.
- First edition.
- New York : Crown Publishers, Inc.,  , ©1991
32 unnumbered pages : illustrations ; 32 cm
- African American girls -- Juvenile fiction.
African American families -- Juvenile fiction.
Flight -- Juvenile fiction.
Wishes -- Juvenile fiction.
Intergenerational relations -- Juvenile fiction.
Desire -- Juvenile fiction.
Liberty -- Juvenile fiction.
Dreams -- Juvenile fiction.
Imagination -- Juvenile fiction.
Prejudices -- Juvenile fiction.
Home -- Juvenile fiction.
City and town life -- Juvenile fiction.
Harlem (New York, N.Y.) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century -- Juvenile fiction.
African American folk art -- Juvenile fiction.
Artists -- United States.
African American families.
African American folk art.
African American girls.
City and town life.
Manners and customs.
New York (State) -- New York -- Harlem.
- Childrens subjects:
- African Americans -- Fiction.
Flight -- Fiction.
Harlem (New York, N.Y.) -- Fiction.
- Picture books.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- A young girl dreams of flying above her Harlem home, claiming all she sees for herself and her family. Based on the author's quilt story of the same name.
A young girl dreams of flying above her Harlem home, claiming all she sees for herself and her family. Based on the author's quilt painting of the same name.
- Art techniques used: Vibrant paintings in the native style of african american folk art. Includes swatches of fabric pointing to the quilt story it's based on.
Coretta Scott King Award, 1992.
Caldecott Honor Book, 1992.
Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Book Award, 1993.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Kislak Center Banks Collection copy 2 presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks. Copy 2 has a doll meant to represent the main character in the story, Cassie Louise Lightfoot.
Banks Collection copies: dust jacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Crown Publishers, publisher.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Children's Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|