Shylock : a legend and its legacy / John Gross.
- Other Title:
- Shylock: four hundred years in the life of a legend
- New York ; London ; Toronto : Simon & Schuster, [c1992].
386 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations, portraits ; 25 cm.
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Merchant of Venice.
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Characters -- Shylock.
Shylock (Fictitious character)
Jews in literature.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- Part One. Shakespeare's Shylock: Where does he come from?; Jews; Three thousand ducats; "Shylock is my name"; Wife and daughter; "I stand for judgment"; Christians
Part Two. Interpretations (1600-1939): From comical to tragical; Romantics and revisionists; Henry Irving; Stage and study; Between the wars
Part Three. A Citizen of the World: A legend and its legacy; Other voices, other cultures; An extended family; Economic man; A father figure; Anti-Semites; Since 1945.
- "Originally published in Great Britain in 1992 by Chatto & Windus Ltd. as: Shylock: Four Hundred Years in the Life of a Legend."
"Designed by Edith Fowler."
Includes bibliographical references (p. 353-372) and index.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has dustjacket retained.
Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has book reviews laid in.
Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy: dust jacket retained.
Potok Collection copy has underlines, marginal marks and ms. annotations.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0671707078 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|