Plan of Chicago / Daniel H. Burnham, Edward H. Bennett ; edited by Charles Moore ; with a new introduction by Kristen Schaffer.
- New York : Princeton Architectural Press, 1993.
xvi, xviii, 164 p., 29 l. of plates (some fold.) : col. ill., maps ; 32 cm.
- City planning -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- 20th century.
City planning -- History.
Chicago (Ill.) -- Chicago. -- History.
- "It may not be an exaggeration to say that modern urban planning began with Daniel H. Burnham and Edward H. Bennett's Plan of Chicago. This landmark text, published in 1909, revolutionized urban design. Adopted by the city of Chicago, the plan had a major impact on its development, particularly that of the Lake Shore. This reprint makes available a book that still holds valuable lessons for today's architects and planners. The most visible document of the City Beautiful movement, the plan was also a hard-headed and practical approach to the problems of modern-day city planning. It detailed proposals for circulation, transportation facilities, civic buildings, and parks.
Plan of Chicago reproduces all 143 plates from the original, 48 in color. It also contains a plate of City Hall, rendered in color by Jules Guérin, that was omitted from the 1909 edition. Kristen Schaffer's new introduction examines Burham's handwritten draft of the book focusing on those parts that were edited out of the publication, to suggest a reinterpretation of the plan."--Jacket.
- Fabric of city life: the social agenda in Burnham's draft of the Plan of Chicago / Kristen Schaffer
Origin of the plan of Chicago
City planning in ancient and modern times
Chicago, the metropolis of the middle west
The Chicago Park system
Streets within the city
The heart of Chicago
Plan of Chicago
Appendix: Legal aspects of the plan of Chicago.
- Originally published: Chicago : Commercial Club, 1908. With new introd.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Originally published: Chicago : Commercial Club, 1909.
Previous ed. cataloged under the Commercial Club of Chicago.
- Burnham, Daniel Hudson, 1846-1912.
Bennett, Edward H. (Edward Herbert), 1874-1954.
Moore, Charles, 1855-1942.
Commercial Club of Chicago.
Bennett, Edward H. (Edward Herbert), 1874-1954. , Author
Moore, Charles, 1855-1942. , Editor
Schaffer, Kristen. , Author of introduction, etc.
- 1878271415 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|