Caribbean revels : Haitian rara and Dominican gaga [sound recording].
- Other Title:
- Haitian rara and Dominican gaga.
- Washington DC : Smithsonian/Folkways, p1991.
- Sound recording
1 sound disc : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Folk music -- Haiti.
Folk music -- Dominican Republic.
Folk songs, Creole -- Haiti.
Folk songs, Creole -- Dominican Republic.
- Local subjects:
- Ethnic music recordings -- Haiti. (search)
Ethnic music recordings -- Dominican Republic. (search)
Ethnic music recordings, Creole -- Haiti. (search)
Ethnic music recordings, Creole -- Dominican Republic. (search)
- Performed by native musicians.
- Vocal and instrumental music, in part associated with voodoo practices; song texts principally obscene or political.
The vocal works sung in Creole.
Recorded 1976-1978 in Haiti and the Dominican Republic by Verna Gillis with the assistance of Ramon Perez.
Originally issued in 1978 as Folkways 4531.
Notes by Verna Gillis, Gage Averill and Michel Ralph Trouillot, bibliography, discography, videography, and texts of the vocal works in the original Creole with English translations ( p. : 23 cm., folded) inserted in container.
"Since most Rara [and Gaga] songs do not have titles, the tracks are either named after the groups recorded on them or after the place in which they were recorded" -- Program notes.
- Gillis, Verna.
- Publisher Number:
- SF 40402 Smithsonian/Folkways
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|