Symbolic space : French Enlightenment architecture and its legacy / Richard A. Etlin.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1994.
xxv, 235 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Neoclassicism (Architecture) -- France.
Architecture, Modern -- 17th-18th centuries -- France.
Signs and symbols in architecture -- France.
Neoclassicism (Architecture) -- Influence.
Cret, Paul Philippe, 1876-1945. -- PPA
Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959. -- PPA
Kahn, Louis I., 1901-1974.
Architecture -- France -- History -- 18th century.
Symbolism in architecture -- France.
- "For Etlin, the eighteenth-century city was a place in which actual physical space was subjected to a complex mental layering of conceptual spaces. He focuses on the design theory of Boullee and Durand and charts their legacy through the architecture of Paul Philippe Cret, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Louis Kahn. He defines the distinctive features of neoclassicism and outlines the new grammar for classical architecture articulated by theorists and architects such as Laugier, Leroy, and Ledoux."--publisher's description.
- Errata slip inserted.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 199-222) and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Albert M. Greenfield Memorial Fund.
- 0226220842 (cloth : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|