The Black American in books for children : readings in racism / edited with an introduction by Donnarae MacCann and Gloria Woodard.
- 2nd ed.
- Metuchen, N.J. : The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1985.
, ix, , 298,  pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Children's literature, American -- History and criticism.
African Americans in literature.
Racism in literature.
Race relations in literature.
Children -- United States -- Books and reading.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New Jersey Metuchen.
- Part I: Black Perspective: The Basic Criterion. Writing for childen-a joy and a responsibility / Eloise Greenfield; Racism in Children's Books: An Afro-American Perspective / Beryle Banfield; Black Perspective in Books for Children / Judith Thompson and Gloria Woodard; What is a Racist Book? / Rae Alexander; Portrayal of the Black in Children's Literature (excerpt) / Jessie M. Birtha; Black and White: An Exchange / Julius Lester and George Woods
Part II: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Other Early Examples of Racism. Huckleberry Finn and the Traditions of Blackface Minstrelsy / Fredrick Woodard and Donnarae MacCann; Mark Twain's Jim in the Classroom / Donald B. Gibson; Through a Glass Darkly (except) / Dharathula H. Millender; Portrayal of the Black in Children's Literature (excerpt) / Jessie M. Birtha
Part III: Racism in 20th-Century Fiction and Biography. Words by Heart-a Black Perspective / Rudine Sims; False Flattery and Thin History: a Study of Three Novels for Children / Opal Moore; The Cay: Racism Still Rewarded / Albert V. Schwartz; Sounder: A Black or a White Tale? / Albert V. Schwartz; The "Real" Doctor Dolittle / Isabelle Suhl; The Persistence of Uncle Tom: An Examination of the Image of the Negro in Children's Fiction Siers / Paul C. Deane; Racism in Prize-Winning Biographical Works / Donnarae MacCann
Part IV: Racism in Contemporary Picture books. Picture Books: The Un-Text / Opal Moore; The Black Experience Through White Eyes-The Same Old Story Once Again / Beryle Banfield and Geraldine L. Wilson; Jake and Honeybunch Go to Heave (a review) / Nancy L. Arnez
Part V: Racism and Publishing. Blacks in the World of Children's Books / Jeanne S. Chall, Eugene Radwin, Valarie W. French, Cynthia R. Hall; The Black Experience in Children's Books: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back / Walter Dean Myers; The Soul of Learning (excerpt) / Dorothy Sterling; An Interview with Haki Madhubuti (Don L. Lee): Poet, Publisher, Critic, Educator / Haki Madhubuti
Part VI: International and Legal Perspectives. Ethnocentric Images in History Books and Their Effect on Racism / Roy Preiswerk; Librarians and Freedom from Racism and Sexism / Howard N. Meyer.
- Contains list of Coretta King Award Winners and Honorable Mention Books (pages 274-278).
Includes bibliographies and indexes.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy has label and embossed stamp ("JB The Library of Joanna Banks") of Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (stamp) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- MacCann, Donnarae.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Children's Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|