Summary narrative of an exploratory expedition to the sources of the Mississippi River in 1820 : resumed and completed by the discovery of its origin in Itasca Lake in 1832 : by authority of the United States : with appendixes, comprising the original report on the copper mines of Lake Superior, and observations on the geology of the lake basins, and the summit of the Mississippi, together with all the official reports and scientific papers of both expeditions / by Henry R. Schoolcraft.
- Other Title:
- Half-title: Discovery of the sources of the Mississippi River
- Philadelphia : Lippincott, Grambo, and Co., 1855.
xx, -596 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Mississippi River -- Description and travel.
Great Lakes (North America)
Northwest, Old -- Description and travel.
United States -- Exploring expeditions.
Natural history -- Northwest, Old
Natural history -- Mississippi River Valley.
Indians of North America.
Geology -- New York (State)
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphia.
- The first part, Narrative of the expedition of 1820 (p. 37-220), is a revised edition of Schoolcraft's "Narrative journal of travels through the north western regions of the United States" (Albany, 1821). The second part, Discovery of the actual source of the Mississippi river (p. -274), is an abridgement of his "Narrative of an expedition through the upper Mississippi valley to Itaska Lake" (New York, 1834).
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy has marginal marks and corrections written in ms.
- Penn Chronology:
- Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
American Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|