The Byble, which is all the Holy Scripture : in whych are contayned the Olde and Newe Testament, truly and purely translated into Englysh / by Thomas Matthew.
- Standardized Title:
- Bible. English. Matthew. 1537.
- [London : Published by R. Grafton and E. Whitchurch ; Antwerp? : Printed by Matthew Crom?], 1537.
, ccxlvij, , xciiij, lxxxj, , cxi,  leaves : ill. ; 35 cm. (fol.)
- "The first edition of the Bible known as 'Matthew's version' ... welds together the best work of Tyndale and Coverdale. ... Thomas Matthew is commonly treated as a pseudonym of John Rogers (1500?-1555), ... [whose] own share in the work was probably confined to translating the prayer of Manasses ... and the general task of editing the materials at his disposal, and preparing the marginal notes ... " (Herbert).
Publication information from Herbert.
Signatures: * ** *** a-z Aa-Hh , AA-LL , MM , Aaa-Iii Kkk , A-O .
Printed in black letter in two columns per page on both sides of the leaf, with chapter headings and marginal notes and references.
T.p., calendar, and sectional t.p.s in red and black.
Includes the Apocrypha.
- Penn Provenance:
- Ross, T. Edward (bookplate) (donor)
Wilson, Lea (bookplate)
Bellasis family (inscription)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Herbert, A.S. Engl. Bible, 34
Darlow & Moule 17
STC (2nd ed.) 2066
University of Pennsylvania. Libraries. Ross Bible, 26
- Rogers, John, 1500?-1555.
Tyndale, William, -1536.
Coverdale, Miles, 1488-1568.
STC Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Ross Bible Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|