Children of the alley / Naguib Mahfouz ; translated by Peter Theroux.
- Standardized Title:
- Awlād ḥāratinā. English
- 1st ed.
- New York : Doubleday, 1996.
448 p. ; 25 cm.
- Families -- Egypt -- Fiction.
Egypt -- Fiction.
- Fiction, Arabic -- Translations into English.
- The tale of a Mafia-like don in Egypt. He lives in a mansion in Cairo, uphill at the end of an alley whose inhabitants he exploits. He is the patriarch of a large family whose wealth comes from dealing in drugs and various protection rackets. While family members jockey for power, the people below live in squalor, dreaming of the revolutionary heroes their poverty produced. An expose of injustice in Egypt by a Nobel Prize winner and author of 30 novels.
- Book design by Terry Karydes ; illustration by Mike Rejto.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Fiction core collection. 16th ed., p. 535
- Theroux, Peter.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|