Tanakh = [Tanakh] : a new translation of the Holy Scriptures according to the traditional Hebrew text.
- Standardized Title:
- Bible. Old Testament. English (Jewish Publication Society) 1985.
- Other Title:
- Torah, Nevi'im, Kethuvim.
Torah, Neviʼim, Ketuvim.
- 1st ed.
- Philadelphia : Jewish Publication Society, 1985.
xxvi, 1624 pages ; 24 cm
- Bible -- Translating.
Bible. Old Testament. -- Versions, Jewish.
Bible. Prophets (Neviʼim).
Bible. Old Testament..
Bible. Prophets (Neviʼim).
- Former Course Reserve reading.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphia.
- The Tanakh is an entirely original translation of the Holy Scriptures into contemporary English, based on the Masoretic--the traditional Hebrew--text.
It is the culmination of three decades of collaboration by academic scholars and rabbis representing the three largest branches of organized Judaism in America.
Not since the third century B.C.E., when seventy-two elders of the tribes of Israel created the Greek translation of Scriptures known as the Septuagint, has such a broad-based committee of Jewish scholars produced a major Bible translation.
In executing this monumental task, the translators made use of the entire range of biblical interpretation, ancient and modern, Jewish and non-Jewish. They drew upon the latest findings in linguistics and archaeology as well as the work of early rabbinic and medieval commentators, grammarians, and philologians. The resulting text is a triumph of literary style and biblical scholarship, unsurpassed in accuracy and clarity.
- Torah : the Five Books of Moses. Genesis ; Exodus ; Leviticus ; Numbers ; Deuteronomy
Nevi'im : the Prophets. Joshua ; Judges ; I Samuel ; II Samuel ; I Kings ; II Kings ; Isaiah ; Jeremiah ; Ezekiel ; The twelve minor prophets (Hosea ; Joel ; Amos ; Obadiah ; Jonah ; Micah ; Nahum ; Habakkuk ; Zephaniah ; Haggai ; Zechariah ; Malachi)
Kethuvim : the Writings. Psalms ; Proverbs ; Job ; The Song of Songs ; Ruth ; Lamentations ; Ecclesiates ; Esther ; Daniel ; Ezra ; Nehemiah ; I Chronicles ; II Chronicles.
- Title facing title page: Torah, Nevi'im, Kethuvim = Torah, Neviʼim, Ketuvim.
- Local notes:
- Acc.# 200076.
Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy has dustjacket retained.
Presented to the Penn Libraries by the Board of Governors of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth.
- Penn Provenance:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (donor) (Libra copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Jewish Publication Society.
Library of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (University of Pennsylvania)
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Bible. O.T. English. Jewish Publication Society. 1985. Tanakh.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|