Where masks still dance : New Guinea / Chris Rainier ; essay by Meg Taylor ; forest stories by Chris Rainier.
- 1st ed.
- Boston : Little, Brown, ©1996.
132 pages : illustrations, map ; 31 cm
- Ethnology -- Papua New Guinea -- Pictorial works.
Ethnology -- Indonesia -- Papua -- Pictorial works.
Papua New Guinea -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.
Papua (Indonesia) -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.
Ethnology -- Indonesia -- Irian Jaya -- Pictorial works.
Manners and customs
Indonesia -- Papua
Papua New Guinea
- Pictorial works.
- New Guinea is home to more than one thousand aboriginal tribes - each with its own unique language, customs, and folklore that have changed very little in forty thousand years. In eight trips over the last ten years, photographer Chris Rainier has traveled to the island - to both Papua New Guinea and Irian Jaya - to document the lives and rituals of these fascinating peoples in what is the most complete visual study ever made.
The result is Where Masks Still Dance - a stunning photographic expedition that captures the distinctive cultures of these indigenous peoples in page after page of hauntingly beautiful black-and-white images. In short essays throughout the book, Rainier recounts the adventures behind the photographs - from trekking through leech-infested jungles to witnessing a ritualistic tribal war "rehearsal"--And notes the often disastrous influence of modern technology and values on the way of life of these simple, natural peoples.
- From Two Worlds by Meg Taylor
Further Into the Forest
Rites of Passage
A Forest for the Trees
The Cult of Cargo
At the Sing-Sing
A Tribal Fight Begins
The Message in the Forest.
- "A Bulfinch Press book."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 128-129).
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|