Myth and religion : the edited transcripts.
- 1st ed.
- Boston : Charles E. Tuttle Co., 1996.
- Watts, Alan, 1915-1973. Alan Watts "Love of wisdom" library.
[The "Love of wisdom" library]
xi, 107 pages ; 23 cm.
- Religion -- Controversial literature.
- Controversial literature.
- This dynamic collection of edited transcripts begins with Not What Should Be, But What Is! In this powerful talk on the contrasts between classical Eastern and traditional Western mythologies, Watts questions whether the image of a divine patriarch is still intellectually plausible in light of our ever growing understanding of the universe. He then takes a revealing look at the mystical origins of Christianity in Jesus - His Religion, Or the Religion About Him? and explores how Christianity has diverged historically from those teachings in a brilliant and well researched critique of the Church. In Democracy in the Kingdom of Heaven Watts then carries his inquiry one step further, and asks if indeed a monarchical religion still makes sense in a democratic society. Watts takes a fascinating look at the ultimately anthropomorphic quality of man's view of his god in Images of Man. Here he is only half kidding when he says that "In the beginning there was Man, and he created God in his image," pointing to the highly subjective nature of our inquiry into the highest orders of reality. In the final chapter, Religion and Sexuality, Watts again looks at organized religion, but with more than a touch of humor as he suggests that churches today are sexual regulation societies, and precious little else. To make this point Watts asks, "How else can you get thrown out?" He then goes on to discuss the social implications of the Church's investment in moral issues, and demonstrates that this may in fact be a ploy to cover up for the lack of any substantial religious teaching in organized religion today.
- Ultimate authority
Not what should be, but what is!
His religion, or the religion about Him?
Democracy in the kingdom of heaven
The images of man
Religion and sexuality.
- Series statement from book jacket.
"Alan Watts Audio collections ... from Electronic University":  p. at end.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- 080483055X :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|