Frieda Hauswirth Das drawings, 1932.
13 items (13 leaves)
- Women artists -- 20th century.
Hanuman langur -- Pictorial works.
Monkeys in art -- 20th century.
India -- Pictorial works.
Manuscripts, American, -- 20th century.
- A Swiss born artist and writer. Das was one of ten children born to a farming family in Gstaad, Switzerland in 1886. For two years Das studied at the Universities of Bern and Zürich. In 1905 Das moved to California, attended Stanford University, and graduated in 1910 with a Bachelor of Arts in English. The same year she graduated Das married Arthur Lee Munger who she divorced in 1916. Following graduation she studied art at the California School of Fine Art in San Francisco under the tutelage of Gottardo Piazzoni. In 1917 she married a close friend Sarangadhar Das in Hawaii. The couple sailed for India in 1920. Das and her husband lived India where they faced many obstacles from societal prejudices. In 1929 Das left India and studied art in Paris where she became an accomplished painter. Her work was shown in several prestigious exhibitions in Paris. Eventually, Das settled near Berkeley, California where she built a cabin. She continued to visit India and also traveled to Mexico. Das died in California in 1974.
- A small collection comprising thirteen leaves of drawings in pencil by Das. All of the drawings have been printed in her book: Leap-home and Gentlebrawn. Eleven illustrations printed in the book are not included in this collection of Das's drawings. The drawings are predominantly depictions of Hanuman langurs also known as the sacred monkeys found in Northeast India. Other drawings include portraits and scenes of daily life in India. Das noted the drawings were created in India. There are portraits of animals, real people, and situations she observed. A child, merchant, rani, and sadhu are among the portraits included. Images of other animals are also included such as a cow, a deer, and a leopard. An inscription signed by Das to Anne Sherman Hoyt dated 1932 is on the first leaf. Each leaf is initialed by Das: F. H. D. Notations by the artist appear on one leaf of drawings.
- Penn Provenance:
- Inscription on leaf: To Anne Sherman Hoyt with love from Frieda Hauswirth Das the drawings for Leap-home and gentlebrawn, July 28, 1932.
- Hoyt, Ann Sherman, 1875-1951, former owner.
- Contained In:
- Miscellaneous Manuscripts (Large) Box 3 Folder 10
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|