Sally Hemings : a novel / Barbara Chase-Riboud.
- Other records:
- New York : Viking Press,  , ©1979
, 348 pages ; 24 cm
- Hemings, Sally -- Fiction.
Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826 -- Relations with women -- Fiction.
Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826.
Presidents -- United States -- Fiction.
African American women -- Fiction.
Women slaves -- Fiction.
Mistresses -- Fiction.
Virginia -- Fiction.
African American women.
Relations with women.
- Biographical fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Barbara Chase-Riboud's moving and controversial novel recreates the love story of Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States and author of the Declaration of Independence, and his beautiful quadroon slave, Sally Hemings. Spanning two continents, sixty years, and seven presidencies, Sally Hemings explores the complex blend of love and hate, tenderness and cruelty, freedom and bondage, that made their lifelong liaison one of the most poignant and unforgettable chapters in American history.
- Includes bibliographical references.
"A Seaver book."
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks with her embossed stamp on front free endpaper.
Banks Collection copy has laid in two yellow paper sheets with manuscript genealogical tables and other notes; newspaper clipping ("No, Sally Hemings was not his 'mistress'" by Britni Danielle) from The Washington Post, 9 July 2017, page B3; newspaper clipping ("Jefferson's slave mistress story spawned by angry slanderer" by Harry V. Jaffa) from The Washington Times, 14 February 1986, page 5B; and small lined paper sheet headed in manuscript "QUESTIONS" with 5 numbered manuscript notes.
Banks Collection copy: dust jacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (stamp) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Viking Press, publisher.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|