Shuckin' and jivin' : folklore from contemporary Black Americans / Daryl Cumber Dance.
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 1978.
- Midland book ; 265
xxii, 390,  pages ; 25 cm
- African Americans -- Virginia -- Folklore.
Tales -- Virginia.
African Americans -- Folklore.
Tales -- United States.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Indiana Bloomington.
- 1. In the Beginning: Etiological Tales
2. I Raised Hell While I Was There: Tales of Heaven and Hell
3. Dese Bones Gon' Rise Again: Ghost Tales
4. Somebody Clapped for Edith Las' Night: Conjure Tales
5. I Hears de Call: Tales about Religion
6. A Nigger Ain't Shit: Self-Degrading Tales
7. Oh, Lord, Will I Ever? The White Woman and the Black Man
8. I Could Eat Her Up: Tales about Women
9. Be True To Me: Tales about Marital Infidelity
10. Goldstein, Pat, Mike, and the Like: Ethnic Jokes
11. The White Man is the Devil: Tales about the Cruelty of Whites
12. The Bottom Rail Comes to Be the Top Riser: Outsmarting Whitey
13. I'm a Bad Motherfucker: Tales of the Bad Nigger
14. Down in the Jungle, Out on the Farm: Miscellaneous Animal Tales
15. Are You Ready for This? Miscellaneous Risqué Tales
16. A Potpourri: Miscellaneous Black Folklore.
- "Black Americans developed and maintained an oral tradition probably unmatched, and certainly not surpassed, by that of any other group in America. Their folklore reveals the history of Black people in this country and their psychological reactions to their experience. The similarities of themes appearing throughout their tales, from slave anecdotes to the contemporary stories, suggest that for Black Americans basically very little has changed."--Introduction.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy has article from Post 12/31/82 laid in.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0253352207 (cloth)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|