From cover to cover : evaluating and reviewing children's books / Kathleen T. Horning.
- 1st edition
- New York, NY : HarperCollins Publishers, 1997. , ©1997
x, 230 pages ; 24 cm
- Book reviewing.
Children's literature -- History and criticism.
Children -- Books and reading.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- "Demonstrates how to think about and critically evaluate several different genres of children's books." Also includes information about how books evolve from manuscripts to bound books, about the parts of a book (jacket flaps, title page, copyright, Cataloging-in-Publication information, etc.), and about "how to write clearly articulated, reasoned opinions so that others can learn about books they have not yet read."--Jacket.
- A critical approach to children's books: How children's books are published
The parts of a book
Categories of children's books
Books of information: Authority and responsibility of the author
Documentation of sources
Traditional literature: Classification of traditional literature
Poetry, verse, rhymes, and songs: Nursery rhymes
Humorous poetry and light verse
Picture books: Text
Easy readers and transitional books: Easy readers
Point of view
Writing a review: The distinction between reviewing and literary criticism
Preparing to review
Writing the review.
- "Copyright ©1997 by Katherine T. Horning"--verso of title page.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 195-220) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Kislak Center Banks Collection copy has photocopy from Barnes & Noble.com (for this work) laid in.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (bookplate) (stamp) Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- HarperCollins (Firm), publisher.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Children's Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|