The woven figure : conservatism and America's fabric, 1994-1997 / George F. Will.
- New York, NY : Scribner, ©1997.
384 pages ; 25 cm
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1993-2001.
Conservatism -- United States.
United States -- Social conditions -- 1980-
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- In this volume, Mr. Will, distinguished political columnist and cultural critic, examines many episodes of the conservatives' tribulations and the liberals' accommodations to the new political landscape. These writings present a map of the landscape, a guide for people perplexed by the gap between contemporary political theories and practices. Here are essays about the peculiar goings-on on campuses, where "rights"--Including a right to Chinese take-out food - multiply. Mr. Will is as pleased by the thirtieth anniversary of The Public Interest quarterly as he is appalled by the horrific new "sport" of "extreme fighting," which raises questions about the limits of permissible commerce. Here are snapshots of something trivial, the 1996 presidential campaign, that illustrated something momentous, the marginalization of the presidency. Mr. Will examines the achievements and misadventures of judicial activism, the writing of national standards for the teaching of history, and the West's response to genocide in the Balkans. But as always in Mr. Will's writings, there is time for the pure fun of life in a nation blessed with ESPN and Corvettes.
- The Tyranny of Nonchalance
With Friends Like These
The Food and Drug Administration vs. "Family Discord"
Sheldon Hackney Teaches Talking
Neo-Paternalism and the Battered Woman Syndrome
Sex in Sacramento
Tears and Chinese Take-Out Food at Tufts
The Sensitivity Sweepstakes at Chico
Anti-Americanism at the Smithsonian
Of Metal Dollars and Males Bonding with Strippers
Baby Boomers, So Elevated in Every Way ...
A Heartbreak Hunk and a Nice Prom
At Melissa Drexler's Prom
Fanatics for "Choice"
"Sixties Idealism" and "Psychedelic Optimism"
Understanding the Sixties: Begin with Barry
1994: Tacky Royalty and Tonya Harding
1995: Oh, a Revolution
1996: In Our Wee Galaxy.
- Includes index.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries Lee Collection copy has typewritten letter from Will to Lee. Has dust jacket.
- Penn Provenance:
- Lee, Ruth Sara (donor) (Lee Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Charles Lee Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Will, George F. Woven figure.
Online version: Will, George F. Woven figure.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|