Last chance for the Tarzan holler : poems / Thylias Moss.
- First edition
- New York : Persea Books, 1998. , ©1998
, 117,  pages ; 24 cm
- Women -- Poetry.
African American women -- Poetry.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- "In a cascade of language--ordinary speech, preaching, song, banter, erudition--motherlove, paternal protection, saintliness, the healing impulse, all spiral into regions of horror and grotesque inconsistencies with consequences as contemporary as headlines ... and as eternal as folklore, myth, and religion."--Jacket.
- Beauty, the beast; those two
1. Fire Work. A way of breathing; In the pit of crinoline ruffles; Beginning the rock at Abbot School; Passing the rock at the Phelps School; Those who love bones; Juniper tree of knowledge; Last chance for the Tarzan Holler; Ant farm; Ambition; Ear; A shoe in the road; The right empowerment of light; For Hagar; Crystals; A hot time in a small town; Glory; First grade art: what meets the eye; The limitation of beautiful recipes
2. Dark Embrace. Second grade art: the stunning chances; A walk through the Dark embrace; Easter; Heads; Tea bags; Overseeing the cherry; After reading Beloved; In the unholy land of sleep; A man; Decision; The saint and the modern equivalent of the miracle of lactation; Lines for a wet nurse; Saint Anthony's ecstasy; Splitting a double life; Ode to the cat-headed consort in a painting by Bosch
3. Luminous Things. Two things; Those immortal axillary animals; King Kong; Macaques checking each other for lice: a public display; Cheating; Sour milk; Advice; Not suffering; Accessible heaven
Epilogue. The lighter side of shadows of monsters.
- "Copyright ©1998 by Thylias Moss"--verso of title page.
"Text designed by Rita and Robert Lascaro and typeset in Bembo with Bodoni titles. Printed and bound by Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton, Pennsylvania"--verso of title page.
"A Karen and Michael Braziller Book"--Cover.
"Cover Painting: Hieronymous Bosch 'The Last Judgment' (detail of the central panel) ..."
Includes bibliographical references.
National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist 1998.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copies 1 & 2 presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy 1 has sheet of paper laid in with quote from Banks.
Banks Collection copy 2 is paperback edition.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copies 1 & 2)
- Penn Chronology:
- Lascaro, Rita, book designer.
Lascaro, Robert, book designer.
Persea Books, publisher.
Haddon Craftsmen, Inc., printer, binder.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0892552298 (alk. paper)
0892552433 (pbk.) :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|