The devil and the Jews : the medieval conception of the Jew and its relation to modern antisemitism / by Joshua Trachtenberg ; foreword by Marc Saperstein.
- [2nd pbk. ed.]
- Philadelphia : The Jewish Publication Society of America, [1983, c1943].
xvi, 278,  pages : illustrations ; 20 cm.
- Christianity and antisemitism.
Antisemitism -- Europe -- History.
Jews -- Europe -- History.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphia.
- Part One: The "Demonic Jew". "Devil incarnal"; Antichrist; With horns and tail
Part Two: The Jew as Sorcerer. "A Jew is full of sorcerey"; Europe discovers the Kabbalah; Magic and medicine; The poisoners; Host and image desecration; Ritual murder; The blood accusation
Part Three: The Jew as Heretic. Church and Jew; Infidel or Heretic?; The attack upon usury; The crusade against sorcery; Heretic-sorcerer-Jew' Epilogue. Still the devil's own.
- "First printing by Yale University Press, 1943. First Meridian printing by the World Publishing Company and the Jewish Publication Society, 1961. Second paperback edtion by the Jewish Publication Society, 1983."
Includes bibliographical references (p. - 267) and index.
"A JPS Paperback"
"Cover design by Adrianne Onderdonk Dudden."
- Local notes:
- Acc.# 926.
Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy sent to Chaim Potok by Dr. Muriel M. Berman President The Jewish Publication Society with card laid in.
- Penn Provenance:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Saperstein, Marc.
Dudden, Adrianne Onderdonk.
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0827602278 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|