A Sign and a witness : 2,000 years of Hebrew books and illuminated manuscripts / edited with an introduction by Leonard Singer Gold.
- New York : The New York Public Library ; New York ; Oxford: Oxford University Press : [Distributed by Oxford University Press, Inc.], [c1988].
- Studies in Jewish history.
Studies in Jewish history
xiii, , 223,  pages,  p. of color plates : ill. (some col.) ; 30 cm.
- Manuscripts, Hebrew -- History.
Hebrew literature, Modern -- Publishing.
Hebrew imprints -- Exhibitions.
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Jewish -- Exhibitions.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- The Dead Sea Scrolls: Light on the Text and Canon of the Bible / Frank Moore Cross
How Hebrew Manuscripts are Made / Malachi Beit-Arié
The Decoration of Medieval Hebrew Manuscripts / Evelyn M. Cohen
The Hebrew Manuscript as a Source for the Study of History and Literature / Menahem Schmelzer
Forming the Great Collection / Joseph Gutmann
Early Hebrew Printing / Mordechai Glatzer
The Development of Hebrew Printing in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries / Moshe N. Rosenfeld
The Hebrew Book in a Christian World / David B. Ruderman
Publishing and the Rise of Modern Hebrew Literature / Michael W. Grunberger
The Art of the Hebrew Book in the Twentieth Century / Leila Avrin
Between Western Culture and Jewish Tradition: Translations to and from Hebrew / Robert Singerman
Text and Texture: Early Adventures in the Fourth Dimension / Chaim Potok.
- Published in conjunction with an international exhibition, held at the New York Public Library, Oct. 15, 1988-Jan. 14, 1989.
"This book was set by The Sarabande Press, New York City, in a Merganthaler Linotronic 300 version of the typeface Bembo."
"The book was designed by Marilan Lund at The York Public Library."
Includes bibliographical references (pages -197) and index.
National Jewish Book Awards - Visual Arts, Winner, 1989
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Gershwind/Bennett Endowed Fund for Judaica Collections.
Presented to the Penn Libraries from the collection of Grace Cohen Grossman.
Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy has autograph of "Chaim Potok 1988".
Potok Collection copy has introductory booklet (20 pages) to exhibition laid in.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gold, Leonard Singer, 1934-
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
New York Public Library.
Gershwind/Bennett Endowed Fund for Judaica Collections.
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0871044099 (pbk.)
0195056191 (Oxford University Press : pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|