The wonderful and most deplorale [!] history of the latter times of the Jews : with the destruction of the city of Jerusalem : Which history begins where the Holy Scriptures end / By Josephus Ben Gorion ; Whereunto is added, a brief of the ten captivities, with the portrait of the Roman rams, and engines of battery, &c. ; As also, of Jerusalem, with the fearful and presaging apparitions, that were seen in the air, before her ruin.
- Standardized Title:
- Josippon. English.
- Other Title:
- Wonderful and most deplorable history of the Jews
Wars of the Jews
- Bellows Fall, Vt. : Printed by Bill Drake & Co., 1819.
299 p. ; 18 cm.
- Jews -- History -- 168 B.C.-135 A.D.
Jerusalem -- History -- Siege, 70 A.D.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Vermont Bellows Falls.
- Peter Morwen's translation of the Latin version of Abraham ben David's abstract of a disputed work know as Yosippon or Josippon, sometimes listed under the pseudonym Josephus ben Gorion. The translation was first published in London, 1558, under the title: A compendious and moste marveylous history of the latter times of the Jewes commune weale. cf. Oxford, Univ. Bodleian libr., Cat. librorum hebraeorum, col. 1759; Jewish encyc., v. 7, p. 260.
Running title: The wars of the Jews.
- Local notes:
- Kaplan Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2012 by Arnold and Deanne Kaplan.
- Penn Provenance:
- Kaplan, Arnold (donor) (Kaplan Collection copy)
Kaplan, Deanne (donor) (Kaplan Collection copy)
Allen, Wm. (autograph) (Kaplan Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Shaw & Shoemaker 48392.
Rosenbach, A.S.W. Amer. Jewish bib., 202
- Ibn Daud, Abraham ben David, Halevi, ca. 1110-ca. 1180.
Joseph ben Gorion, ha-Kohen.
Arnold and Deanne Kaplan Collection of Early American Judaica (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|