Modern philosophies of Judaism, a study of recent Jewish philosophies of religion, by Jacob B. Agus, Ph. D.
- Other records:
- New York, Behrman's Jewish Book House, 1941.
xii, 388 pages 21 cm.
- Philosophy, Jewish.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- Introduction: Abraham Geiger; Ludwig Solomon Steinheim; Samuel Hirsch; Solomon Formstecher; Theories of nationalism
Hermann Cohen: Early attitudes to Judaism; General philosophical position; The concept of man; The concept of God; The relation of man to God
Franz Rosenzweig: The life and influence of Franz Rosenzweig; Philosophical background of "The star of redemption"; Contents of "The star of redemption"; Philosophy of religion; Philosophy of Judaism
Martin Buber: Early religious experiences and intuitions; I and thou; Analysis of the Thou relation; Comparative study of the Thou relation; Practical significance of Buber's mysticism
Mordecal M. Kaplan-Reconstructionism: Religion as a group affair; Religion as a healthy reaction to life; The cosmic source of human ideals; The reconstruction of Judaism
Summary and Conclusion: The common core of modern Jewish philosophy; Theses for a philosophy of religion.
- "The purpose of this book is to expound the basic ideas of modern Jewish religious thought ... This book is an elaboration and popularization of a doctoral thesis, entitled 'The relation of man to God in the philosophies of Hermann Cohen and Martin Buber,' which was submitted to Harvard university in the spring of 1939."--Preface.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 353-356).
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy has underlines, marginal marks and autograph of "Herman Potok".
Presented to the Penn Libraries by the Board of Governors of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth.
- Penn Provenance:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (donor) (Libra copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
Library of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|