Selected stories of Sholom Aleichem / with an introduction by Alfred Kazin.
- Standardized Title:
- Short stories. English. Selections
- New York : Modern Library, [©1956].
- Modern library of the world's best books; 145.
The Modern library of the world's best books
xv, , 432 pages ; 19 cm.
- Sholem Aleichem, 1859-1916 -- Translations into English.
Jews -- Social life and customs -- Fiction.
- Jewish fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- On account of a hat
The town of the little people
Tevye wins a fortune
A page from the song of songs
Two dead men
The clock that struck thirteen
Home for Passover
The enchanted tailor
A Yom Kippur scandal
Tit for tat
You mustn't weep
I'm an orphan
Dreyfus in Kasrilevka
The day before Yom Kippur
Three little heads
A country Passover
The lottery ticket
The miracle of Hashono Rabo
A daughter's grave
- "'On Account of a Hat,' translated by Isaac Rosenfeld, and 'The Pair,' translated by Shlomo Katz in 'A Treasury of Yiddish Stories' ... The remaining stories in this book were translated by Julius and Frances Butwin in 'The Old Country' ..."
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy has underlines and marginal marks.
Potok Collection copy has Style 8 binding in use between 1939 to 1962. Front cover features Kent Torchbearer image within gold outline, above image is smaller enclosed square lettered in gold. Spine has gold Torchbearer stamped above black panel lettered in gold. Illustrated Rockwell Kent endpapers.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Kazin, Alfred, 1915-1998.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
Sholem Aleichem, 1859-1916
- Other format:
- Online version: Sholem Aleichem, 1859-1916. Short stories. English. Selections. Selected stories of Sholom Aleichem [
Online version: Sholem Aleichem, 1859-1916. Short stories. English. Selections. Selected stories of Sholom Aleichem [
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|