Troilus and Cressida / edited by David Bevington.
- Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, UK : Thomas Nelson and Sons, ©1998.
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. 1995. Works.
The Arden Shakespeare. Third series
xxi, 469 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm.
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Troilus and Cressida.
Troilus (Legendary character) -- Drama.
Princes -- Turkey -- Troy (Extinct city) -- Drama.
Cressida (Fictitious character) -- Drama.
Women -- Turkey -- Troy (Extinct city) -- Drama.
Trojan War -- Drama.
'A new play, never staled with the stage': genre and the question of original performance
'An envious fever of pale and bloodless emulation': historical context in the last years of Elizabeth's reign
'Wars and lechery': demystification of the heroes of ancient Greece
'Tis but the chance of war'" sceptical deflation of Trojan honour and chivalry
'The gods have heard me swear': tragic irony and the death of Hector
'As true as Troilus': male obsessions about honour and sexuality
'As false as Cressid': women as objects of desire
'Call them all panders': voyeurism and male bonding
'What's aught but as 'tis valued?': commercial and subjective valuation of identity and worth
'Divides more wider than the sky and earth': the fragmentation of the divided self
'Stuff to make paradoxes': performance history of Troilus and Cressida
TROILUS AND CRESSIDA
'Instructed by the antiquary times': Shakespeare's sources
'Words, words, mere words': The text of Troilus and Cressida.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 430-462) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Bevington, David M., editor.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Other format:
- Online version: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Troilus and Cressida.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|