Beyond tradeoffs : market reforms and equitable growth in Latin America / Nancy Birdsall, Carol Graham, and Richard H. Sabot, editors.
- Other Title:
- Beyond trade-offs
Market reforms and equitable growth in Latin America
- Washington, D.C. : Inter-American Development Bank : Brookings Institution Press, 1998.
- Conference Name:
- Conference Inequality-Reducing Growth in Latin America (1997 : Washington, D.C.)
367 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Latin America -- Economic policy -- Congresses.
Economic development -- Congresses.
Income distribution -- Latin America -- Congresses.
Equality -- Latin America -- Congresses.
- "The essays in this book propose new ways of reducing inequality, not by growth-inhibiting transfers and regulations, but by enhancing efficiency--eliminating consumption subsidies for the wealthy, increasing the productivity of the poor, and shifting to a more labor-and-skill-demanding growth path"--Foreword.
- Foreword / Michael Armacost and Enrique V. Iglesias
Virtuous circles in Latin America's second stage of reforms / Nancy Birdsall, Carol Graham, and Richard H. Sabot
Kinds and causes of inequality in Latin America / John Sheahan and Enrique V. Iglesias
Structural reforms and equity / Eduardo Lora and Juan Luis Londoño
Growth with equity: the volatility connection / Michael Gavin and Ricardo Hausmann
No tradeoff: efficient growth via more equal human capital accumulation / Nancy Birdsall and Juan Luis Londoño
Inequality-reducing growth in agriculture: a market-friendly policy agenda / Michael R. Carter and Jonathan Coles
Economic policy and labor market dynamics / René Cortázar, Nora Lustig, and Richard H. Sabot
Equity benefits from financial market reforms / Liliana Rojas-Suárez, and Steven R. Weisbrod
Pension reform: an efficiency-equity tradeoff? / Estelle James
Reforming public monopolies: water supply / Raquel Alfaro, Ralph Bradburd, and John Briscoe
Inequality and growth: implications for public finance and lessons from experience in the United States / Joseph Stiglitz
The political economy of institutional reform in Latin America / Carol Graham and Moisés Naím.
- "The chapters draw on discussions at a conference sponsored by the IDB and the MacArthur Foundation, titled "Inequality-Reducing Growth in Latin America," held in Washington, D.C. in January 1997"--Foreword.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Birdsall, Nancy.
Graham, Carol, 1962-
Sabot, R. H.
Inter-American Development Bank.
- 0815709218 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|