- [Avignon, 14--]
166 leaves : parchment, col. ill. ; 149 x 100 (100 x 62) mm. bound to 155 x 107 mm.
- Catholic Church -- Liturgy -- Texts.
Breviaries -- Specimens.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 15th century.
- Breviary, use of the Franciscans of Avignon; includes calendar (f. 1r-6v), litany (f. 39r-41v) with names of saints venerated in Provençe and Office for the Dead (f. 146v-158v).
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger; title in Zacour-Hirsch is Psalter.
Foliation: Parchment; ii (18th-century paper) + 167 + ii (18th-century paper); [i], [1-166], modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Layout: Written in 22-24 long lines; ruled in lead.
Script: Written in Gothic book script in a single hand, except for a middle section (f. 50r-81v) in a second hand; headings and marginal notations in a later hand.
Decoration: 4-line puzzle initial (f. 1r); 8-line puzzle initial with red penwork ornamentation (f. 50r); rubricated throughout, with red used for headings, initials and capitals; some capitals stroked with yellow.
Binding: 18th-century French calf, mistakenly titled Diurna[l] de Marsei[lle] on spine.
Origin: Written in Avignon in the 15th century (Zacour-Hirsch).
Upper outer corner of f. [i] cut out.
- Penn Provenance:
- Arms of Michel de Léon, treasurer of France at Marseilles (1727-1800) on spine; monogram of Charles Kothen (1814-1880), a Finnish nobleman who was a refugee in Marseilles, on paper endleaf.
Sold by Laurence Witten (New Haven, Conn.), 1958.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 35-36 (Ms. Latin 154).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 746.
- Kothen, Charles, 1814-1880, former owner.
Léon, Michel de, 1727-1800, former owner.
- Access Restriction:
- Access to this item is subject to staff review.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|