Systema agriculturae : the mystery of husbandry discovered : wherein is treated of the several new and most advantagious ways of tilling, planting, sowing ... all sorts of gardens, orchards ... & coppices : and of all sorts of fruits, corn ... silk-worms, &c. ... : with an account of the several instruments and engines useful in this profession : to which is added, Kalendarium rusticum, or, The husbandmans monethly directions : also the prognosticks of dearth, scarcity ... &c : and Dictionarium rusticum, or, The interpretation of rustick terms / published for the common good, by J.W. gent. ...
- Other Title:
- Systema agriculturae being the mystery of husbandry discovered and layd open
- London : Printed by T. Johnson for Samuel Speed ... , 1669.
, 278,  p. : ill. ; 28 cm. (fol.)
- Agriculture -- Early works to 1800.
- Advertisements -- England -- London -- 17th century.
- Written by: John Worlidge. Cf. Halkett & Laing V, p. 405.
Signatures: pi² A² C⁴ D-E² [e]⁴ F-2Q⁴ 2R-2T².
Added engraved t.p., dated 1668.
"Kalendarium rusticum" (p. -245, 2nd count) and "Dictionarium rusticum" (p. -278, second count) have special t.p.'s dated 1668.
"A catalogue of such authors who have written of agriculture ... and were consulted with in the composure of the subsequent treatise"--p. -, 1st count.
Woodcuts: head-pieces and borders.
Advertisements on last two pages.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Imperfect: added engr. t.p. torn and reinforced with new leaf.
Some ms. notes and a sketch in pencil or brown ink in outer margins.
- Penn Provenance:
- Brushfield, T. N. (bookplate)
Ware, J. M. (autograph, Nov. 1864)
Hall, A. P. (autograph, 1877)
Forlé, L. C. S. (inscription, 1877)
Andren, William (autograph, "His book bought in January 1820 ... Dublin")
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Wing (2nd ed.) W3598
Kress Lib. 1251
Goldsmiths' Lib. cat. 1898
- Philadelphia Society for Promoting Agriculture Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Kalendarium rusticum.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|