A new light of alchymy : taken out of the fountain of nature and manual experience : to which is added a treatise of sulphur / written by Micheel Sandivogius, i.e. anagrammatically, Divi Leschi genus amo ; also nine books of the nature of things, written by Paracelsus, viz. of the generations, growths, conservations, life, death, renewing, transformation, separation, signatures of natural things ; also a chymical dictionary explaining hard places and words met withal in the writings of Paracelsus, and other obscure authors ; all of which are faithfully translated out of the Latin into the English tongue, by J.F., M.D.
- Other records:
- Standardized Title:
- Novum lumen chymicum. English
- London : Printed by A. Clark, for Tho. Williams, at the Golden Ball in Hosier-Lane, 1674.
, 351,  p. ; 17 cm. (8vo)
- stte byma dets this (3) 1674 (A)
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.
Alchemy -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.
Chemistry -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.
Sulphur -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- A new light of alchymy
Of the nature of things : nine books / written by Philipp Theophrastus, of Hohenheim, called Paracelsus. London : Printed by Andrew Clarke, for Thomas Williams ..., 1674
A chymical dictionary ... London : Printed by A.C. for T. Williams ..., 1674.
- First work is a translation of Sędziwój's Novum lumen chymicum; the second of Paracelsus' De natura rerum ix bücher.
The Chymical dictionary is largely a translation of Gerhard Dorn's Dictionarium Paracelsi, with omissions (cf. Ferguson, J. Bibliotheca chemica).
J.F. is John French.
The of words "generations.. death" and "renewing.. signatures" are enclosed in brackets on title page.
"Of the nature of things" a translation of part of "De natura rerum", and "A chymical dictionary", based on "Dictionarium Theophrasti Paracelsi" by Gerhard Dorn, each have separate dated title page.
Title-page within woodcut border.
- Local notes:
- Imperfect: leaf I1 torn at top outer margin and mended with some loss of text.
- Penn Provenance:
- Burr, Charles W. (Charles Walts), 1861- (bookplate) (donor) (RBC copy 540.1 Se57.EF)
Goldbaum, Ruth D. (donor) (Smith copy)
Goldbaum, Emma K. (donor) (Smith copy)
Elias, Archibald C. (donor) (QD25 .S43 1674)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Wing (2nd ed.) S2507A
Hogart, R. Alchemy, 151
Sudhoff, K. Bibliographia Paracelsica, 403
- French, John, 1616-1657.
- Paracelsus, 1493-1541. De natura rerum, ix bücher. English. Selections.
Dorn, Gerhard, 16th cent. Dictionarium Theophrast Paracelsi.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|