Sexuality and the Black church : a womanist perspective / Kelly Brown Douglas.
- Maryknoll, N.Y. : Orbis Books, 1999. , ©1999
xi, 162 pages ; 21 cm
- Womanist theology.
Sex -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
African Americans -- Sexual behavior.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) Maryknoll.
- "This book tackles the "taboo" subject of sexuality that has long been avoided by the Black church and community. Douglas argues that this view of Black sexuality has interfered with constructive responses to the AIDS crisis and teenage pregnancies, fostered intolerance of sexual diversity, frustrated healthy male/female relationships, and rendered Black and womanist theologians silent on sexual issues."--Jacket.
- 1. Black Sexuality: A Pawn of White Culture. White Culture. Sexuality in Culture
2. Stereotypes, False Images, Terrorism: The White Assault upon Black Sexuality. The Roots of the Attack. Slavery and Black Sexuality. Black Women: A Gateway to Depravity. Violent Bucks. The Continued Attack on Black Sexuality
3. The Legacy of White Sexual Assault. More Than a Reflection of White Culture. The Impact of White Culture upon Black Sexuality. A Sexual Discourse of Resistance. The Mandate for a Sexual Discourse of Resistance. Black Spirituality
4. Homophobia and Heterosexism in the Black Church and Community. The Bible and Homosexuality. Homosexuality and the Well-Being of the Black Community. Homophobia and a Sexual Discourse of Resistance
5. God-talk and Black Sexuality. Created in the Image of the God of Jesus Christ. Sexual discourse and Authentic Black Faith. Homophobia: a Sin and Betray of Black faith. . 6. A Sexual Discourse of Resistance and the Black Church. Reuniting the Sacred and the Secular. Black Literature: A Catalysts for Sexual Discourse. Black Sexuality and Popular Culture. Bible Study. From Pew to Pulpit. Sexual Discourse: a Call to Adam. The national Religious Summit on Black Sexuality. Concluding Challenge.
- "Copyright ©1999 by Kelly Brown Douglas"--verso of title page.
Scripture quotations are from the New Revised Standard Version--verso of title page.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 145-155) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Orbis Books, publisher.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 1570752427 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|