Rethinking Leviathan : the eighteenth-century state in Britain and Germany / edited by John Brewer and Eckhart Hellmuth.
- London : German Historical Institute ; Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Studies of the German Historical Institute London
x, 402 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 18th century -- Congresses.
Germany -- Politics and government -- 18th century -- Congresses.
Great Britain -- History -- 18th century -- Congresses.
Germany -- History -- 18th century -- Congresses.
- Introduction : rethinking Leviathan / John Brewer and Eckhart Hellmuth
Explaining variation in early modern state structure : the cases of England and the German territorial states / Thomas Ertman
The army and the state in Britain and Germany during the eighteenth century / John Childs
Reasonable aims of civil society : concerns of the state in German political theory in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries / Diethelm Klippel
Eighteenth-century Britain : in search of the state and finding the quarter sessions / J.A.W. Gunn
Servants of the public, servants of the crown : officialdom of eighteenth-century English central government / John Brewer
The Prussian bureaucracy reconsidered / Rudolf Vierhaus
The state in Germany : a non-Prussian view / Sheilagh Ogilvie
Government and administration : everyday politics in the Holy Roman Empire / Christof Dipper
The state and the poor : eighteenth-century England in European perspective / Joanna Innes
Manners and the eighteenth-century state : the case of the unsociable Englishman / Paul Langford
A monument to Frederick the Great : architecture, politics, and the state in late eighteenth-century Prussia / Eckhart Hellmuth
Reform absolutism and the codification of law : the genesis and nature of the Prussian General Code (1794) / Günter Birtsch
Codification, consolidation, and parliamentary statute / David Lieberman.
- A collection of essays originally presented at a conference which the German Historical Institute organized with the Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel--Foreword.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Brewer, John, 1947-
German Historical Institute in London.
- 0199201897 (acid-free paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|