Free within ourselves : fiction lessons for Black authors / Jewell Parker Rhodes.
- First edition
- New York : Main Street Books, .
- New York : Published by Doubleday a division of Random House, Inc.,
, 342 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Blacks -- Authorship.
African Americans in literature.
African Americans -- Authorship.
Blacks in literature.
Fiction -- Authorship.
Fiction -- Technique.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Part I: Celebrating Ourselves. Preface: Celebrating self and community; 1. Getting ready to work: claiming a journal, the writr within; 2. Literary ancestors
Part II: Spiritual Preparations. 3. Unearthing tales; 4. How to keep going
Part III: Learning the Craft. 5. Creating character; 6. Creating plot; 7. Point of view; 8. Description, setting, and atmosphere; 9. Dialogue, dialect, and narrative voice; 10. Theme; 11. Revisions and letting go
Part IV: Wisdom and Advice from Black Authors. Best advice from Black Writers to Black Writers
Part V: Tools You May Need.
- "Designed by Richard Oriolo."
"November 1999. First Edition"
Includes bibliographical references (p. -321).
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0385491751 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|